Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Boston University Women's Ice Hockey

We've all heard the stories about Miami. About the comeback. About the 2009 National Championship. Some of us were there, some of us at home, some of us completely oblivious to the fact that our future school was dominating in the Division I Men's Ice Hockey world. Yesterday at the 2012 Women's Hockey East Championships, I was with two people that were in DC that night. And with 7.3 seconds left in the third period, they exploded. One of those people even said "I didn't even react like that in 2009."

For those of you living underneath a rock, yesterday the Boston University Women's Ice Hockey team captured their second Hockey East title and their third straight bid into the NCAA tournament. That's cool. Even cooler when you consider the program's only been a division I sport since the '05-'06 season.

But better than '09? Better than the two goal epic comeback, the overtime win? Can a conference title, one goal epic comeback, double overtime win really top that?

I can't fairly debate on that, but here's what I can fairly tell you: yesterday was the most gut wrenching and gratifying winning of college hockey hardware I've ever witnessed personally.


I've said this a million times before, but this team is the most emotional team I've ever watched. When it comes to hockey, you generally have 20 some odd guys using their strength and their senses to win games. In college, those 20 some odd guys are generally anywhere from 18 to 23 years old (unless you're Merrimack, which I just double checked - not a single guy born after '91, get those dudes some walkers). And when it comes to women, well, yeah. You've got an emotional as all hell group of people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you women's college ice hockey. The most captivating games you'll ever see.

I don't want to discredit our men's team here, because I do get into those games. But not all of them. And when they lose, not often does my stomach drop and I fall silent. Most of the time I'm pointing out mistakes, a lack of focus, or the other's team's overwhelming desire to want it more. Yet every women's game I've been to - not just the Beanpot, not just the Frozen Four, every last one - I've been devastated after a loss. Think NHL playoff hockey heartbreak. Because without a doubt I can say those girls put every last ounce of energy into that game and put their wills through a rough three plus periods.

The other day I was reading a book about the 1980 Olympic team and I found this awesome quote from Mark Johnson on women's hockey and why he decided not to switch to coaching the men's team at Wisconsin when he had the chance:

"There was another, underlying part of it, too. I've coached two of the last four [men's] world championship teams, and NHL players. When a guy is making six, seven, eight million dollars a year, you can coach him, but are you teaching him, influencing him? On the men's side, if you're dealing with football, basketball, hockey, in the back of those kids' minds, they want to play for money one day. And that changes the parameters of a lot of things that we deal with, especially with the money that's out there now. On the women's side, their dreams are playing on the national team, in the Olympics. They're here for the right reasons. It's like when we played. Their dreams are similar to what ours were."

That literally sums it up perfectly and will carry more credibility than what I could ever say. But let me just add that I'm grateful I get to watch a team - a true team - remain intact and develop over four years. For most, this is as high up as they're going. And they aren't going to waste it.

And when these girls aren't laying it all on the line on ice, they're being great human beings off of it.

Today I went to offer my congratulations to a few players. I just wanted to give them the thumbs up and then walk away. But after they said thank you, they then went on a five minute spiel about how they wouldn't have won if it wasn't for the fan support, for people like me showing up. They talked about how much they genuinely appreciate noise and energy and how much that transfers. And let's not forget that yesterday after they won, they took their championship pictures along the boards - with the band in the back. They stick salute, win or lose. They honest to god love every last scarlet and white clad student that shows up to a game. And that's why it's incredibly easy to be a fan of this team.


But here's the thing - when I came back to Boston and came back on campus this morning, it was fairly lack luster in the spirit department. No, I'm not calling for the duck boats and I know our basketball teams had a tough weekend, but some people did not know the women's ice hockey team won yesterday. People that SHOULD know.

Here's the deal, we're at a point in the season where it's genuinely hard to make it to games and I get that. The next game is in Ithaca and then (knock on wood) the next two would be in Duluth. I doubt any of the usual hockey fan students can make it out to those, and I understand that.

But god damn, show some support back home. This team thrives off of it and they deserve it. If you aren't comprehending how legitimately good this team is, get your head checked. This semester all anyone can talk about that's hockey related is the men's team's drama. Guess what, the women have their own shit and have overcome it with flying colors. Try losing an Olympian for months to injury, a senior for the year due to a concussion, and a captain for a month while she's competing in Canada. They did that, they got over it. They've owned BC (something we can all get behind) all season. They've got players who have set records, scored hat tricks, and been honored as the best of the best. They just spent their Sunday beating a goaltender who made a record number of saves throughout a Hockey East tournament. Last year they were the first ever Hockey East team to make it to the National Championship title game.

Seriously, a little bit of spirit and a "good luck" is all it takes. They take everything to heart and they play with that. Without that goal on Sunday with 7.3 seconds left in the third, the game wouldn't have gone into over time, they wouldn't have won. Without the will power and heart of the team, that goal with 7.3 seconds left wouldn't have been scored. Without fan support, that will power would've been less - a lot less.

So get your act together. I know this season is coming to a close, but next year is right around the corner. And so is every damn year after that. This team has come from being a club team to being the best of the best in division I in such a short time. You've got to be able to appreciate that. And if you want a good game, all it takes is coming to one of the women's.


I know someone's going to try and tell me I'm going all feminist on them with this blog post, to which I say go ahead. Don't be hatin' because my women's team keeps melting your face off day in and day out.

13 comments:

  1. from all of us on the team, thank you. thank you. thank you. hopefully this convinces some people to drink the women's ice hockey kool-aid and come watch us next year. we really appreciate your support and advocacy. GO BU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. As a parent of women's hockey we feel every word you said. I do know that once you get a sports fan to a women's hockey game they become hooked. Everything they know and love about sports is pure there. The rest just follows as most people are in awe of the talent it takes to play this women's game. Epic was the word I heard from the most recent convert. So my hope is that your kind words will get everyone to begin to give it a try. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog post is one of the most touching things I've heard from anyone thats written about us! We love our fans and we love the game! Thank you so much! This is a great post about a great game and my most favorite 25 women in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly started crying in the middle of this lecture hall reading this. Thank you for capturing what I have been trying to say all season long. There came a pivotal moment for me back in January. It was the game against UVM right before BC. I knew people were planning to come to the BC game, but I also knew that we needed that extra spark the game before to ensure that we would win a few days later. That's when we moved behind the bench, when we really tried to be loud, when we tried to be there for that team no matter the outcome. I'm pretty sure it paid off as well. Since that day, the only game the team lost was the Beanpot final, and we all know how that game was yet another archetypal example of what you talk about in this post.

    Before I came here, I wasn't that into hockey. I personally like to believe that our women's ice hockey team has been the key factor to convert me. Never before have I felt such attachment to a group of people or activity, and I can only hope that the team and the (hopefully increasing number of) fans can keep this interest alive not just in me, but in the generations of BU students to come.

    Thank you BUWIH (players, managers, coaches), thank you BU Band, and thank you to every fan who has come out to a game after my countless amount of pleading. It has certainly paid off, and I truly hope I can get out to either Ithaca or (knock on wood) Duluth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit. I didn't go to women's hockey before that BC game. And I'm a junior. And now I feel terrible that I'm just going to games now. But I will go to every game I possibly can. Because everything in this post is true, and it is so easy to see when you go watch a game. This team is absolutely amazing, and I have so much respect for them as hockey players and as people. I really hope this post encourages more people to go to games, because they really are such great games, and this team deserves so much support. They definitely have mine, and I will see what I can do to encourage others. GO BU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to start by saying last year wasn't the first time a WHEA team made it to the frozen 4 but it certainly was the 1st time one of them made it to the final... that would be BU. Being someone that has watched this team developed over time I can assure that Terriers fans should feel proud of what they have accomplished. For the first time I BELIEVE this team has what it takes to go all the way. Sitting and waiting most of the season for all that talent to sync and finally produce... the moment finally came. I couldn't have asked for a better Championship match up. They showed the world that WHEA is filled with talent. All four teams have made everyone that follows D-I women's hockey realize that the cup soon will leave the West to come East. Being a WHEA fan I like where my odds stand this year, and no matter what the outcome is I can assure you they will give you a good show for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Minor Note: If anybody challenges the team's response to energy in the stands, I want you to ask Poulin about the time she scored in the BC game in January. I still remember the smile on her face when we started chanting her name. We make a difference and it's great to see that people are finally beginning to realize it.

    Just talked to a player and we are really hoping that people can continue to bring the support this weekend. Yes, we know you can't get out there, but do send it from wherever you are. The chemistry amongst the team has never been better, and it shows. Let's help them keep it alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing broke my heart more than watching the team come in second last spring. Even though I wasn't at this game (I told Aaron I'd go wherever more sales were needed) but I've never felt more emotions towards a team than this one. I cried after the Frozen Four. i cried after the Beanpot. That win on Sat was the first WIH game I missed. And even if I don't go to Ithaca this weekend (band is always first isn't already it) I'm proud of what they'll achieve. What I said after WIH Beanpot remains: I've never been prouder to be a Terrier than with this team.
    (I wrote this on my phone in history... forgive phone typos)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly touching and well said! Thank you for writing such a heart felt and honest blog. You have honored our team, an homage that truly deserves to be given! These women stand for so much, and you have given them the recognition they deserve! I cannot be prouder of my terriers they have given me the best hockey ever. I will never forget the final game.......it was blood, swaet, and tears! This blog brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart! I truly appreciate you saying it the way it is. I hope this sport and other women's team sports grow in popularity and start to see more fan appreciate all thie hard work and talent

    Diana Tutino

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been lucky enough to be at Erie, Hyannis and DC (2009). The difference for me relates very closely to Johnson's comment from the Boys of Winter, these girls are all there for the right reason, to get a degree and play hockey at a high level. There isn't a single member of the team that I know who doesn't deserve to be at BU as a STUDENT and a hockey player. I feel that this year's squad has been through so many ups and downs that winning Hockey East is an incredible achievement, but I know that they can go much further. I'll be there in Ithaca, and (hopefully) Duluth. I still want the men's team to do well, but I don't see myself jumping up and down and carrying on the way I did this past Sunday at one of their games.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed with everything written in this post. Hopefully a national title is on the horizon at some point for this team.

    But P.S., you have to admit that 2009 title game for the men was pretty epic....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I covered the team until 2009 and the strides they made were outstanding. I've done the bus rides, the long trips. This is a great team, full of talent, heart, drive, and determination.

    I've seen some comebacks, and I know this team is good (and I swear, anyone who spends a minute with coach Durocher would cheer for this squad). It comes from the top. The only thing that's been missing has been the crowd support. And that's where you come in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following the University of Minnesota women's team for two years now, and I just want to echo almost everything you said. The intensity level displayed by these teams is amazing. There have been a number of times during the last two seasons when the Gophers haven't played smart, but very few where they haven't played hard.

    I switched over from primarily watching the men's team for a variety of off-ice reasons. When I did so, I expected that I wouldn't enjoy the game on the ice as much, but that it would be worth it just to be rid of the crap. The second part has certainly been true, but not the first. If anything, I like the on-ice games more. Among the discoveries is that I don't miss the hitting AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete