Monday, January 23, 2012

Why You Should Go Watch WIH vs. BC on Wednesday

First things first, I'm always a fan for getting more people to the women's ice hockey games. I think they deserve support just as much, if not more, than some of the other teams on campus. Yes, I do get frustrated when the attendance is more than just lacking, it's non-existant. But that being said, I'm completely pragmatic. I know men's ice hockey is the best way to get students out of their dorm and wearing Scarlet and White, ready to scream their heads off and show their pride on their sleeves. But with that in mind, if there's going to be a single women's ice hockey game that you attend all year, it needs to be this one.

This game is big for the team and for the school. So far the team has split the season series with BC. BC women's hockey (contrary to the men) is doing superb right now while we are faltering. But that doesn't mean we can't absolutely own this team. We've already done it once and we're hot coming off the weekend win against Vermont. For those of you clueless to the women's team, let me introduce you to some ridiculously hard workers. Jenn Wakefield. She's getting hattys and setting Hockey East records. Leading the team in shots by a mile. She's an elite athlete and spent part of last semester repping Canada. Kayla Tutino. She's got three SHG (that's more than Wade Megan, people) and three GWG (which is tied with Wade Megan who has the most for the men, currently). Oh yeah, and did I mention she's a freshman? Kerrin Sperry. Girl eats, sleeps, breathes hockey. She's keeping the net away from every body and really stepping up. Did I mention her name is Kerrin? That's pronounced KIER-AN. Kerrin *clap clap* Kerrin *clap clap* Kerrin *clap clap*. See it works here, too. And of course, I'm going to throw a shout out to the whole D in general. Boucher, Watchorn, Carly Warren, Fratkin, Miller. Girls are ridiculous and I love watching them all.

As for the school and the students - this is just another chance to prove we win at life. We all know we've absolutely killed Boston College this year. Not just in men's ice hockey, but in everything else. This is the last remaining "big team" game against the Eagles this year and it's our last chance to prove the Eagles suck. That's a cause we can all get behind.

And then there's this rink called Walter Brown Arena. It doesn't have padded seats like Agganis and you can't sit behind the goals. It doesn't fit our normal crowd and it's always freaking cold. But seriously, this place is historic. You know the men used to play here, right? If you don't you're literally an idiot. This place has seen more National Championship teams than Agganis. It's the site of the most unbelievable 11 seconds in Boston University Hockey history.

And we can make it loud.

It doesn't absorb sound. That place echoes like no other with no one in it, so if you pack it full of the 3,800 it can take it's going to explode. The glass is lower which means the players can literally internalize everything you say. It's homey there and it feels like hockey. If you've never been, what are you waiting for?

As much as I could try and spit off stats and logical reasons to go to the game (it's a Wednesday night, take a mid week break - it's more hockey before a massive weekend of the sport - you already paid for a sports pass so use it), the real reason you should go has nothing to do with that.

Of all the teams on this campus (and believe me, I really truly support them all) I have always felt the most emotionally attached to the women's ice hockey team.

Maybe it's because they stick salute us no matter how little of fans show up, maybe it's because they were in the national title game last year, maybe it's just because they have Boston sprawled across their chests, but I can't help but to truly get into every women's ice hockey game I go to.

Despite the fact that they often have afternoon games and we're all sleepy and lazy, those girls play with heart all the time. Not to take away from the rest of the teams, but I want this team to win more than anything. I see constant effort from them, even in the losses. Even when they aren't at their physical peak and aren't playing up to their potential, I still see hustle. Whether their up or down, they demonstrate team work and perseverance through every thing they do.

That being said - they're having a rough go of it right now. Look, I'm completely pro-Poulin and know we're hurting without her, but I know the problems run deeper than that. But I am not giving up on this team just yet. I've seen them play in the Frozen Four. I've seen them prove themselves over and over again to every team they've faced. This program is so young, but they're just so god damn good at what they do. But right now what they need is a push. Some energy. A reason to keep fighting.

And call me emotional when it comes to sports, but holy hell do I know the fans can be the motivation to relight that flame. Those girls feed off energy more so than most teams I've seen, collegiate or not, contenders or not. If they see that they're worth it, meaning if the crowds show up to prove their worth it, I fear for BC's life. No, I'm not kidding around. I have a feeling that they will absolutely unleash everything should more than the usual suspects show up to Walter Brown. And I'll be selfish here - I want to see that.

So, seriously. Stop kidding yourself. You won't be doing homework on Wednesday night and hey you don't actually have to go to class all the time. Spend one freaking night, less than three god damn hours, to trek to Agganis plus five minutes to see a Battle Royale. I want to kick the crap out of BC one last time before the seasons are over and I know you do, too. Give that jersey just one more wear this week. Get yourself some pre Maine weekend energy. Scream your ass off because what the hell else would you rather be doing? I don't care if you're a freshman, a senior, or anyone else, this game could be huge for all those involved. The team deserves this one, and we can give it to them.

Go crazy for the team and I promise you the team will go crazy for you.

1 comment:

  1. Couple other tidbits worth noting about our teams epic awesomeness:
    - Watchorn and Menard have both returned from a rousing series with Team Canada in Germany. The team had four shutouts in their seven games, Menard got nearly a goal every time she played in a game, and Watchorn was team captain.
    - Poulin has a gold medal fresh from Vancouver (for anybody that didn't know)
    - Jenn Wakefield
    - Kayla Tutino

    These girls are something else, both on the ice and off of it. They truly appreciate everybody who comes to cheer them on (personally thanking the band, and did I see multiple stick salutes on Saturday?) and will actually socialize with people who congratulate them on their jobs well done. Honestly, even if you aren't a fan of women's hockey for whatever reason, there is just no excuse not to attempt to go and cheer on one of the hardest working groups of students on this campus. You'll feel good after doing it, and they'll feel absolutely amazing when they win because of your efforts. I mean, at least go for a period.

    Oh, and they give out free shirts and hats all the time. What's not to love there? I mean, it would be great if people would grab a shirt and stay for a period (not leave immediately), but at least people are entering the arena. It's a start!

    ReplyDelete