Friday, December 16, 2011

After the Recent Week in BU Hockey

First things first, I want to take a personal timeout to admit that yes, I opened my mouth too soon on the Corey Trivino case.  I still stand by what I said, but please don't take that as me hating Trivino himself.  I honestly have looked up to that kid and rather than shame him in his fall from grace, I wish him nothing but the best in life.  I really hope to see him turn it around.

Now, as for the Coyle news.  First of all, best of luck to him.  I understand it hurts, though.  I admit I don't fully get the stories and why a BU baby would turn his back on the place he grew up loving.

But as for the rest of us.  I know people who have sat in the stands way back in Walter Brown Arena cheering on Chris Drury on his senior night.  I know people who have spent the first semester of this year asking me how you even play hockey.  And I know everyone in between.

Especially after this week, it's really hard to be optimistic.  We lost two good guys on the ice and the players on the team have lost two of their best friends.

But that is it.  The school didn't go up in flames.  Our program didn't fold.  We've still got Parker and you know what, in Parker I still and will always trust.

To everyone that feels like they've been hurt by these departures - stop.  Go in your closet, get out whatever Scarlet and White you have, and put it on.  This is your school.  This is your team.  You can't pick a new one and you sure as hell shouldn't want to.  Get your game face on, get your fire burning, get your passion back. Come second semester, we've got some demons of our own to fend off.  Northeastern fans, UML fans, UMass fans - they're all going to try and get under our skin.

To which I say, let 'em try.

If this doesn't bring the student section together, nothing will.  We can't give up faith.  If Matt Nieto is the reason you know we've still got offensive skill, I better hear you scream when he scores.  If you just want a good ol' Massachusetts boy to get behind, don't you dare forget about Garrett Noonan.  If you want senior leadership - look at Chris Connolly and remember that despite the troubles in finding the back of the net, he always comes out with fire, pride, and passion for the sweater.

The Dog Pound is a place where we should all feel at home.  A home in which we lose our voices, meet our best friends, and hate on that hellhole that is BC.  A home where we don't know each other's names, but where each other sits.  A home where we all have different beliefs and ideas, but where we all know that Teglia sucks.  Both Milner AND Billett suck.  That Cannata sucks (yeah he does, kiss my ass Merrimack).

Whatever.  Let the circumstances take two.  We've still got 24 and they need our support more than ever.  Wear your jersey.  Get a jersey.  Get a Scarlet tshirt.  Show up to the rest of the season.  Show up to any games.  Get your Beanpot tickets.  Start a chant.  Join in on one.  Exchange high-fives as a crowd goal celly.

Do it all.  This is your school.  This is your team.  Believe it or not, those are your boys.

Once a Terrier, always a Terrier, shut up and act like one.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Not only does this team need to rally together, but our students need to as well. I'm betting we do both next semester and can't wait.

    ReplyDelete