Monday, February 20, 2012

Still Bleeding

Never would I have guessed that I'd be writing a follow up to a blog post I made back in December. Never would I have guessed that history, alarming history, would be repeating itself. Never would I have guessed that the school I take so much pride in would again be subject to...this.

But I was wrong on all accounts.

Regardless of the verdict in any cases involving any of the hockey team, I've got two things to say.


First, learn how to separate the personal from the professional.

Ignore what anybody else is going to say, ignore what they have already said. You continuing to go to the games and showing support for the team is NOT condoning the actions of individual players. Because we are supporting just that - the team. The long line of jerseys and skates cascading out of the locker room.

Last time I checked, all BU jerseys look pretty similar. All the people I see weekend after weekend have "Boston" sprawled across their chests. It doesn't matter if it's home or away, Bauer or Nike, customized or not. The "Boston", the "BU" - that's what's consistent. That is what you cheer for. That is what you take pride in. That is what you never give up faith on, no matter what.


Secondly, this extends far beyond hockey.

You cannot ignore the bigger implications surrounding all of this. Take the kid (who is innocent until proven guilty), take him off the team, and you've still got someone you don't want to support. But in particular, this kid is and always has been in the spotlight of our school. People want to associate our school with that. People want to ignore the amazing accomplishments that lie with this team, this school, the thousands of Terrier Nation and solely focus on the negative. Suddenly everyone around us is interested in knowing exactly what happens at our school.

And what exactly happens at our school?

Oh that's right, a community - a family - is made. Something that USCHO forum trollers will never understand.

This incident, these incidents, are not reflective of BU culture. These are actions that are wrong no matter what platform they are put onto. This stuff, unfortunately, happens. But it happens absolutely every where. And I for one am thankful I go to BU at this time. Yes, we have some serious accusations going on. But I see the administrating doing exactly what I'd want it to and expect it to. Our drama is on display, but at least it isn't currently being covered up or brushed off.


So on Friday night I'll be in StuVi 2 watching the Boston University Terriers take on the Catamounts of the University of Vermont. The Terriers. A group of 20 some odd skaters wearing the colors I hold in the highest regards.

In sports, personnel changes all the time. Good people leave, bad people come. But you never stop loving your team, your program. It's about the color flowing through your veins, not about the name and number you slap on your back.

Today, tomorrow, next year, forever - I still Bleed Scarlet. And I am incredibly honored to call myself a Boston University Terrier.

2 comments:

  1. Really well put. It's so important to continue to support the team as a whole; I'm sure it's incredibly difficult for everyone else on the team right now. It's not okay for our entire school, and a program and team we have grown to support whole-heartedly, to be completely cast aside due to an individual's action. If it's true, it's deplorable and if not, a right shame, but our school and our team needs our support more than ever on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Players in the past have worn the numbers 7 and 10 proudly, and they will in the future. BU will go on.

    ReplyDelete