Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Why Terriers Rule and Eagles Drool

Up until like 10 minutes ago, I was literally in depression mode, as I'm sure most of us were. You take hockey fans of the winningest team in the most sentimental tournament and you make them suffer an absolutely heartbreaking loss...that ain't fun.

But as I was making my way home, I saw this: @Clenny5: Thanks to BU fans tonight for the support. Best fans in Hockey East.

To which I replied, well god damnit Adam, yes we are.

Okay, okay, I rag on us in a loving way. If I ever complain it's about petty stuff because we're so close to perfection it's killing me.

And not that I think any of you need this blog post to reaffirm your passions, I'm just gonna throw it out there anyways.

We are lunatics. I've sat next to my fair share of crazies at sporting events, but none are more raving than Terrier fans. The past few weeks, sitting around people in zubaz, BU football jerseys, and Kevin Shattenkirk Frozen Fenway jerseys (hey - if you get sick of that, I'll take it), I've learned three really important things: 1) we're loud, creative, and funny as all hell; 2) we know about hockey and we don't ever sit back and become mere spectators; 3) we bleed scarlet. And we bleed it hard.

Every game, we ride this thing out, unlike those Merrimack kids that peace out halfway through the third.  Every game, we keep cheering no matter what the score, unlike those wannabe rivals at Northeastern who find nothing wrong with shutting up if they're losing. We, without a doubt, love our teams and the games they play. And we feel every last emotion - euphoric or gut wrenching - with them.

Tonight was tough. We had to deal with women's Beanpot finals round two. Complete heart and dedication from the kids on the ice and the complete same from those in the stands. Play hard, cheer hard, lose hard. Yes, for the second time this year (these past few weeks) we lose in sudden death.  Yes, for the second time we have to watch someone else celebrate while our players skate doubled over. Yes, for the second time we can't raise a trophy and say we're worth all the beans in Boston.

Well screw that.

Ask anyone, senior, freshman, alumni, and this is a banner year in terms of our student section. Even I've only been sitting atop the 118 for two years and I notice a huge difference from last year. We have stepped up our game big time. We all want to go to the away games and we're all willing to fill 118 and 108 weekend after weekend.

We lost our first game of the season to St. Francis Xavier - nobody gave up. We lost to Holy Cross - but nobody gave up. UMass Lowell absolutely handed our asses to us - again, nobody gave up. Merrimack broke our hearts in over time - guess what, nobody gave up. We lost two centers, two top guys - still, nobody gave up. We went down in South Bend - and nobody freakin gave up.

We have been representing our team, our school, and ourselves like absolute ballers this entire year. What started out as mere BC away games turned into far distance travel games, fan buses, commuter rails, and any other form of transportation you could think off. Road wins, home wins, all loud wins. The Dog Pound has been rocking the hell out of any house we've been to - including the Garden tonight.

By the way, BC fans still suck. There wasn't a single time tonight their team was down but they just sat quiet all night. Didn't even try to mess with us. Most creative chant was BU sucks. Superfans at their finest.

Seriously Dog Pound - we are so much better than that it's hysterical. Bordering on sad for the little Eagles.

So anyways, while I'm in some weird emotional state between depression and optimism, just thought I'd throw it out there that BU students are the best fans in Hockey East right now and have been all year. And it's seriously noted.

BC Sucks. Once a Terrier, always a Terrier. Bleed Scarlet.

1 comment:

  1. I got a 50/50 raffle ticket last night and the guy said "you have to be present to win. So no matter what happens out there, you gotta stay." I felt proud to respond "I'm not a BC "superfan," I stick it out no matter what."

    Keep bleeding scarlet everyone.

    ReplyDelete