Thursday, February 14, 2013

Murphy's Law

For those of you needing a recap lesson on Murphy's Law, it can be summed up in one statement: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

For those of you needing a recap of the Boston University Men's Ice Hockey season since the Denver game, it can be summed up in one theory: Murphy's Law.




I've always clearly stated that I love this team no matter what. It doesn't matter if we're on some sort of offensive tear or coming in 4th place in the Beanpot. But still, there will always be things I disagree with and things that I wish we could change. I, like everyone else, just want to see a consistent effort from the teams I love every last game. But even in the times there isn't, nothing stops me from continually showing up to games.

I've been a student for three years and in those three years I've seen more drama with my hockey team than some lifers have seen. I saw Charlie Coyle score a hat trick in an exhibition game and then a year and two months later I saw him leave for WJC and never return to this school. I remember my freshman year Valentine's Day because I was more depressed by the team than by not having a valentine. I'd see Andy Glass and Victor Saponari in the dining hall more times than I'd seen them on the ice. I fell asleep after reading a tweet saying Corey Trivino had been kicked off the team only to be awaken less than an hour later by a frantic roommate explaining the situation. I was at a women's ice hockey game when I learned of what had happened with Max Nicastro.

Yet I remember the thrillers, too. Almost all of my sophomore year is marked by those occasions. Beanpot finals. Vermont weekend. Beating BC twice away. Making the trip to Minnesota. Of course, I also remember those tried and true Terriers. Joe Pereira. Chris Connolly. Kieran Millan. The ones that stayed all four years not necessarily because they weren't going to have a hockey opportunity if they left early but because I believe they really felt an affinity for this place.

This year I was hoping things were going to be different. After everything that happened last year, I had no reason to believe things wouldn't be different. I was almost certain we had reached the bottom of whatever preverbal hill we'd been rolling down. We had some of the most trying experiences last year and we passed all of that. Leaders emerged, attitudes were turned around, outlooks were made positive. The "us against the world" mentality should never have dissipated. There was no reason for it to.

Yet 2013 rolls around and I feel trapped in the same never ending cycle I was born into. Someone leaves (multiple people leave), we have a atrocious stretch of hockey (multiple stretches), "Terriers" denounce their fandom (multiple "Terriers"). I am the most optimistic person in the world but I'm really getting terribly sick of this. It's hard to find the silver linings in situations when it's the same types of situations happening over and over again.

People think it's crazy, being so into a team. I can't explain why the Terriers win/loss ratio is directly correlated to my personal happiness, but it is. People look at me like I'm psychotic because I know something about every under-ager before he even throws on the Scarlet and White. But it's just the way things are with me. It's the way things are with a lot of Terriers.

But then this happens. It's a rare situation in that it's black and white why we lost a defenseman. More than that, everyone got to witness first hand the on ice discipline issues that lead to the suspension. Regardless of how people feel about the length of the suspension, it happened and it's not going away.

No, this is not the end of the world. We all saw last year. Things could be worse. Much, much worse. Yet we're still in a position where Justin Courtnall left...Yasin Cisse left...Wes Myron left...now Privitera is gone. Our depth is gone. It's almost impossible to not say "hey, we're done. The season is over. It's just a matter of fact."

Even as optimistic as I may be, I admit it. This situation looks bleak.

It occurred to me after the Beanpot consolation loss that I may never see a National Championship as a student. Something that I completely expected and have reveled in. I may never even see another NCAA tournament game as a student. Hell, I may never see a Hockey East Championship. Yet in that moment of clarity it was okay. Those things are rare, the ultimate prize. But it's not why I watch this game. What I care more about is seeing my team battle for the even opportunity to see those big games. Even if it's a game against a last place Northeastern team - no, against a winless Sacred Heart team - I want my team to prove to me, to the coaches, to themselves, that they belong in Boston University Ice Hockey history.

With that thought, I realized our depth issues no longer matter to me. Yeah, we've lost our options. But take a look at what's left. Jake Moscatel and Matt Ronan. Two kids that have dressed few games but have stayed with this team through it all. Nobody expects them to be Matt Gilroy. Nobody expects them to even have a boat load of ice time even when they do dress. But if there's something I've learned, it's that those two kids belong more on this team than anyone that left.

People may have laughed about playing the two of them in the past. But I know a handful of passionate people, myself included, that did not joke. In the few moments I've had the opportunity to watch them play, I've seen them trying, really trying, to make an impression. Not an impression for themselves, but for the team. They want to help the group of their best friends in any way they can. Being on the ice to do so is a bonus. It's cliche, but it's true. With these two the phrase "play for the name on the front, not the one on the back" has never had more meaning.

Of course Moscatel is injured now, but as soon as he's healed up I expect him right back in the line-up, grinding like always. Matt Ronan gets the opportunity to make his return to the line-up this weekend and guarantee he doesn't take his ice time for granted. Some nameless people who walked away this season wanted 1st or 2nd line minutes, but Ronan and Moscatel would take any minutes. So what if they weren't recruited to this school. So what if they aren't drafted. So what if after they graduate they never competitively step on the ice again. The thought of walking away from this has never crossed their minds.

In all actuality, this might be what the team needs. As Escobedo and Megan said in interviews earlier, you never want to see a friend go. But it's time to step up and move on. This team does what it does best under adversity. That spark that's been missing for sometime now might just get re-lit this weekend in Maine.

Finally, and I'm still completely serious about this, I think it's time for Moccia to see some time in net. This is not a knock on Maguire or O'Connor at all, they both deserve the time they've been getting. But at this point, what do we have to lose by letting Moccia play? He doesn't have to start, he doesn't have to play long, but he deserves a shot. Parker was going to give it to him in exhibition at the start of the year but he couldn't due to injury. I don't think he should've missed his shot because of that. I've always been a fan of the underdog getting in net (Adam Kraus, anyone?) because sometimes it's those guys that stay on their toes the best. They have the most to prove in the little amount of time they've got. I truly hope before he graduates that he does get the opportunity to play.

Realistically, who knows where we'll end up this year. If the season ends today, we're still in the tournament. But that could all change (for better or worse) tomorrow. I'm not asking for wins anymore. All I'm hoping for a true display of pride in this school, this sport, and this team. It's been a while since I've heard Parker call a game (win or loss) a good one. I'd like to get back to that. Back to the roots of this team and this tradition. Things aren't going to be perfect and they sure as hell won't be easy, but we can't roll over and play dead yet. A season doesn't end in February.

So here we are. A weekend away from home and playing a team that we desperately need to win against. At this time, points and standings are still all up in the air. But there should be no question that we continue to fight. Even if we don't win a single game for the rest of the season, sweat, tears, and maybe even a little bit of blood better be spent. This team needs to leave it all out on the ice. As fans, we'll be there do or die. But we've reached the point in the season where we don't want to see wins for ourselves anymore. We want to see wins for the team, for their sake, so they know that this isn't over. Even if we don't see any games past the first weekend in March, I hope the boys know that the end of one season is how we start the next.

I don't actually think any of the team has ever read this nor will they ever, but I'm still going to say this next bit anyways. Even through the bad plays, stupid penalties, rough times - you've always made me proud to be a Terrier. There is nothing I enjoy more than my Friday and Saturday nights in Agganis or on the road to another arena. Your games are what get me through the week most times. Your games are the only thing I'm willing to miss work and pay for. Your games are my livelihood and the best part of my college experience. Obviously, Terrier Nation feels the same way. We've got your backs through anything from idiotic North Dakotans, to classless Northeastern fans, to even those terrible commenters on the Boston Hockey Blog.

Yes, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Says philosophy. But my physicist friend Newton says differently. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest, yes. But objects in motion tend to kick the shit out of Hockey East opponents. Go BU.

No comments:

Post a Comment