Sunday, March 10, 2013

An Ode to Women

I'm pretty sure I knew close to nothing about Boston University Women's Ice Hockey. Scratch that, I knew nothing. The only thing I could definitively say is, yes, we had a women's team.

But I showed up to Walter Brown Arena on October 15th, 2010 nonetheless. Not much later, I showed up again.

I came to this school fully expecting to fall in love with Boston University Men's Ice Hockey. I was completely ready to let it happen, let it take up all my time. I was prepared for my weekly night in Agganis. I knew that I'd be learning more stats than I could handle about NHL draft picks. It all just made complete sense in my mind.

As for the magic that happened when I first started watching the women's team...that was different.


I didn't know what to think. I had never really paid attention to women's ice hockey in general, especially women's college ice hockey. Truth be told I didn't even think to see if we had a women's team before coming here. It was nothing against our team, it was just utter ignorance on my part.

But as I mentioned, I found my way to Walter Brown Arena within months of the beginning of my freshman year. It was cold. Why wasn't there a jumbotron? Why was there still a sign for Burger King in the Union Court? There weren't any seats behind the goals. But above all - I remember it being close to empty. What I thought was going to be another raucous hockey game felt way more scaled back than I would've ever guessed.

Everything I had learned about Boston University Ice Hockey at Agganis Arena seemed to dissipate in the waning minutes before puck drop. Even the "tradition" music was still slightly different. But then the all-too familiar "let's play hockey" slogan slipped from Jim Prior's lips. In a moment, all the reservations I was having evaporated.

I can't tell you what happened that game. I even had to look up the box score just now to remember that we even won. I can't tell you what got me back for the next game. I didn't remember any players or any goals that were scored. Nothing at all stood out to me about this team. But I kept coming back for more. Another one in October. A few more in November. Again in December and January.

Then February rolled around and I got to witness my first ever Women's Beanpot. I hated being at BC, especially because of the night before's events. Alas I stood as always through team warmups and everything went according to its usual predestined plan. Even in a foreign rink with terrible warm up music, things were starting to feel routine. I still wasn't feeling anything out of the ordinary for this team. But then it happened. Holly Lorms skated to the boards, continuing whatever warm up should would normally be doing. Curiously, she stopped, looked up at my friend and I, and waved excitedly. A huge smile was plastered to her face, like she was seeing a best friend again. All I knew was that Holly Lorms's name was Holly Lorms and that she donned a C on her chest. I looked to my friend, confused, and asked if she knew Lorms. She didn't. We both stood there, trying to figure out why on earth Lorms had waved to us. Two lowly freshman, never before interacted with the team. Just people who blended in.

At the end of the game we contemplated not only the plays, but this strange act as well. That's when it sort of hit us. This team is different. They could win, lose, or tie. They could know us or they don't have to. They still love seeing us show up. And they're going to express that gratitude.

In March 2011, the band learned two things. That our men's basketball team was going dancing and that our women's ice hockey team was Frozen Four bound. What we didn't know at the time was that we had an opportunity to go to both. When it was revealed that the men's basketball team would be playing in Tulsa, I got excited to spend my Spring Break in a warm environment. What the hell was in Tulsa? What the hell was in Oklahoma at all? I knew none of the answers but still started thinking of my wardrobe none the less. But in the first few nights of Spring Break, it turns out that there was going to be an opportunity for half of us to also travel to Erie for the Women's Frozen Four. Last minute, a bunch of us were asked to switch from going to Tulsa to going to Erie. I was not one of the people asked. My spot to Oklahoma was secured. But after a brief meeting with those of us traveling, I somehow found myself walking straight up to the director and telling him, "send me to Erie."

Erie happened. Winning the semifinal happened. Making doortags for the team happened. The team ordering us pizza happened. Dying my hair bright red happened. As I was sent home on the chartered plane (the Bruins plane, by the way) and as I sipped on my complementary gatorade wrapped in a warm blanket using WiFi at so many thousand feet, I realized that I was in love. For the second time that year, I had fallen in love with a Boston University Ice Hockey team.

Things just got better from there on out, being a women's hockey fan. The games got more intense, the players became more like friends, the love I had for that team grew bigger. The next year I found myself in a colder rink than Wally B cheering on this team for a Women's Hockey East Championship. A championship they won in thrilling fashion. I came home from that game on an all time BU Athletics high. Everything seemed perfect.

When I look back on my time being a fan of this team, there are some irreplaceable memories. The games like triple overtime versus Cornell - scratch that, every game ever versus Cornell. The multiple nights in hotels making signs for the players. The one time we made baked goods for the players. Not being afraid to go offer my congratulations to them in the dining hall.

No, I can't tell you I'm actually friends with anyone on the team. But we are so much more than fans at this point. There is some sort of special bond that I don't think has ever been had between a team and its followers before. This is a family. You can laugh all you want at that, but I guarantee you anyone involved in it would agree. A close knit unit that does nothing but offer support to each other in every way possible. It is without a doubt the most rewarding system I've ever been apart of. And it is genuine.

I've tried to convince people to come out to women's games before. Sometimes with good results, sometimes not. I've thrown stats and anecdotes all over the place, but who knows if they really work. But I'll be damned if I ever stop trying. This team (and so what if I overuse this phrase) deserves our support. For a game. For a playoff run. For a season. For four years. Whatever you can give, they will take it. I'm not asking anyone to convert to die hard fandom in moments. You can't. All I'm trying to express is that some of the best memories come from unexpected moments. I never in a millon years would've pegged myself as a devoted follower of this team, but here I am today. All it took was a little bit of spontaneity. Nobody convinced me of anything. I didn't expect anything. I didn't want anything. But I got it anyways.


So as we get geared up for another Hockey East Championship game and perhaps beyond, I just wanted to again offer my undying appreciation for this team. Thank you for giving me some of the best moments I've had as a college student. Watching you all lay it all out on the line game after game is the greatest gift a fan can ask for. I cannot wait to keep following you past my years as a student. And I cannot wait to keep bugging the living daylights out of everyone to get them to Walter Brown Arena, the place that has truly been my home on this campus.

Let's finish this season off right. Go BU!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston University Women's Ice Hocke team whe started playing live ice hockey was not a good team but now they have good skills and learnt too much that can create problem for oppsite team.

    ReplyDelete